Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Why My Blog is Named "An HONEST Search for Truth

To me, truth has always taken precedence over everything else. We should search for truth and when we find it, we should have the courage to accept it. The problem with religious people, no matter what faith they adhere to, is that they hold a preconceived notion in their head as to what is true. When overwhelming evidence contradicts their preconceived beliefs, they simply ignore the evidence. 

Strangely we look for and act on evidence in every facet of our lives….except religion. 

A couple of years ago my neighbor, a retired professor and practicing Quaker, graciously invited me to speak at a gathering of religious leaders, the purpose of which was to explain their "faith" to others. The group ranged from a Muslim and Rabbi, through a plethora of other faiths, including Methodists and Baptists. My neighbor thought it only fair that someone who held no faith be invited.

Stupidly, I took him up on his offer.

I explained to the group that we are all born as atheists. It is only through indoctrination that we become Baptists and Catholics, Muslims and Jews, etc. In my short presentation presented (again stupidly) without notes or a prepared script, I gave Christians leaders attending the meeting a fact they were not prepared to hear. A whopping 67% of the world’s population totally reject the idea that Jesus is their savior.

I explained that with a death rate on our planet of 7.99 deaths/1,000 population 157,610 of us die every day. Those numbers quite clearly indicate that if you are a Christian, you have no choice but believe that 73 people each minute of each day are condemned to eternal agony. I looked at my watch and explained that in just the 40 minutes since our meeting started; nearly 3000 people had gone straight to hell.

One preacher literally gasped when I said that and blurted out, “That’s not true!” But the grim fact is if you are a Christian, it is true. His reaction was typical of someone who had been cherry picking bible verses for so long that he had actually began to believe his own propaganda.

To say it is not true is to reject what your own bible and your own Jesus declared in several places on its pages. I’m not saying it. Your own bible says it!

Here, have a look. Matt. 5:28, 9:45, 16:18. Luke 10:15, 12:5, 16:23. James 3:6, John 14:6. If you don’t believe your own bible then you are not a Christian. Period.

Stop a moment and listen to that small voice of reason. That’s not Satan whispering in your ear. That is your brain operating just the way it was designed to operate. Listen to it. There is nothing to fear.

No comments:

Post a Comment